Liberty LEADS in New York City
|IN PERSON at 610 W 112th Street, New York, NY 10025
|January 15, 2024
|USD $35 - USD $50 / hour
Liberty LEADS is seeking qualified music teachers to work with middle and high school groups to expose students who possess a variety of goals and musical interests. We encourage an atmosphere that fosters creative expression. Project based activities should build content knowledge while engaging students in a creative process that builds confidence as well as skill. Instructors must have experience engaging students in person or using Zoom if circumstances dictate changing from in person to online classes. Curriculums and daily lesson plans are required for review and approval. Weekly lesson plans must be submitted for review one week prior to class. During remote classes, instructors must appear on camera at all times and persuade students to communicate and participate in the same way. Instructors are expected to deliver a final project to showcase during our end of year celebration.
The Liberty LEADS Program at Bank Street College is a college access and college success program serving students throughout New York City. We offer a comprehensive academic program and a wide range of resources for students in grades 5 through 12, Monday through Saturday, for 10 months of the year. Liberty LEADS works to ensure that youth with few economic resources have access to the supports necessary to realize their potential, make positive contributions to society, and smoothly make the transition into college or an entry-level career. The program is guided by the principle that all children have gifts, talents, and great potential and can contribute to one another's social and academic growth.
- Create, adapt and implement a music curriculum groups of 10-12 students
- Engage students and modify curriculum according to needs of students and the medium being used with assistance from Liberty LEADS advisors
- If circumstances require us to switch to online classes, Instructors must have reliable WIFI and computers and must have cameras on at all times and appear on camera in order to persuade students to communicate and participate in the same way.
- Manage in person and remote classrooms using positive behavior management strategies
- Meet regularly with the Liberty LEADS Middle School Coordinator for supervision and debriefing
- Prepare presentation with students for ‘end of year’ celebration
- Provide lesson plans to advisors one week in advance for approval.
- NYS Teacher Certification or professional proficiency in content area preferred
- Special Education teachers strongly urged to apply
- Must possess strong communication skills and knowledge of group development
- Experience working with middle school youth and knowledge of child development
- Experience teaching classes using Zoom platform preferred
- Reliable WIFI and computer access
- Please apply online on our website