Bloomingdale School of Music
Category: Instrumentalist, Teacher
|New York, NY
|February 10, 2024
Bloomingdale School of Music is seeking candidates for the position of a Piano Instructor. The ideal candidate has a strong background in both Jazz and Classical, and is dedicated to teaching, has taught students of different ages and levels, and has experience in classroom teaching. The successful candidate should be energetic, organized, with excellent communication skills, and a good sense of humor. The ability to work effectively with students, parents, staff, and other faculty members is a must.
Required Teaching Day: Saturdays and Sundays
- Prepare for lessons and classes prior to teaching day.
- Teach students at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels in a one-on-one setting.
- Teach beginner group classes of students ages 6 - 10 and/or adult learners.
- Work with students to form and meet semester goals.
- Prepare students to present an end of semester recital with families and peers.
- Work with the Senior Director of Programming to outline 17-week curriculums for group classes.
- Availability to teach a minimum of four hours a week and maintain a consistent schedule that enables them to be present throughout the year for community concerts and events.
- Correspond with Bloomingdale Programming and Registration teams regularly via email, phone and in person.
- Send regular updates to school aged students’ families or directly to adult students with progress notes, at-home assignments and any other important information necessary to foster a positive learning environment.
- Submit attendance in a timely manner using Bloomingdale’s ASAP Attendance System.
- Respond to Registration requests regarding trial lessons and student inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Work with the Marketing team to assure the correct information is on the website for classes, ensembles and other programs you are involved in.
- Engage in community events and performances on-site and off-site as available.
- Recruit new students when possible to Bloomingdale - both for your own classroom and department and the other departments.
- Encourage outside students to engage with Bloomingdale’s free events, sign up for ancillary classes such as ensembles and theory, and participate in special programming.
- Support Bloomingdale students to serve as ambassadors for the school through outside performance opportunities, in house fundraising events and through attending concerts regularly.
SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced Study in Music and/or Music Education, with background in jazz and classical piano performance.
- Experience teaching private lessons and group classes or classrooms. Evidence of methodological innovation and creative teaching strategies is highly desirable.
- Excellent administrative skills – highly organized, ability to multitask, and knowledge of Microsoft and Google Suite.
- Self-starter who can both follow instructions and think through solutions/problem solve.
- Good communication skills - timely responder, can keep administration informed of changes in the moment and stays in touch with students and their families.
- Adaptable – this position will need someone who is eager to learn and adjust to the needs at hand, which could change from week to week, sometimes day to day.
- A positive and optimistic sensibility, with the ability to relate to and get along with a very diverse group of people.
- Hiring preference will be given to a candidate who demonstrates an understanding of our mission and who is enthusiastic about working closely with students of all levels.
Pay is competitive with other New York City community music schools, $45/hour for private lessons, $60/hour for group classes on site at Bloomingdale.
Benefits include paid faculty concerts, professional development opportunities, tax-exempt Metrocards, sick pay benefits, and access to rehearsal space.
Eligibility to SIMPLE IRA retirement plan contributions after one year of service.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their application by visiting: Bloomingdale Faculty Application. (https://form.jotform.com/231725124950351)
- Cover Letter: Please respond to the following prompt: How do you navigate working with students of varying ages back to back (a 5 year old beginner to an experienced 50+ adult)?
- Resume: Please include a complete resume, not a CV
- Cover letters and resumes are reviewed as they come in until a strong candidate is found.
- Only those being considered will be contacted by email/phone for an initial interview.
- Second round candidates will be invited for an in-person panel interview, demo lesson and short performance sample.
- Applications will be accepted until a position has been filled.