New York Youth Symphony Crescendo
|Location||110 W 40th St, New York, NY 10018|
|Start||August 1, 2023|
|Compensation||This position receives an hourly rate of $23/hour and approximately 200 hours per season.|
Launching at the start of the 2023/24 season, New York Youth Symphony’s Crescendo will be a 44-piece
string orchestra for New York City residents ages 10-18 years old. It will provide access to outstanding
music education for a diverse range of students who have been adversely affected during the pandemic.
In addition to weekly ensemble rehearsals, students will receive chamber music coaching, workshops,
and masterclasses with professional musicians; plus, guidance on topics including audition preparation,
audience engagement, careers in the arts, and festival and school admissions. Students will study and
prepare music by historically underrepresented composers, including women, members of the LGBTQIA
community, and people of color – opening the minds of these musicians making a more inclusive and
thoughtful repertoire – as well as standard works from the classical canon. Crescendo will perform two
concerts per season, one at Merkin Hall in the fall and another at Carnegie’s Zankel Hall in the spring.
The NYYS Crescendo Manager is a part-time, hourly position that runs from August through the end of
May in New York City. This position is crucial to the success of the Crescendo, with responsibilities
ranging from production and personnel management to oversight of auditions, attendance, and student
communication. This position is present at all rehearsals and performances. They communicate with the
musical and administrative staff, students, and parents, ensuring smooth operations for all. (See
complete responsibilities below).
The NYYS Crescendo Manager reports directly to the Director of Artistic Planning and will assist the
Crescendo Music Director and Senior Staff with the following:
• Manage and proctor in-person auditions August –September of 2023 at the NYYS office.
• Communicate results to all applicants and assist with student registrations
• Attend all scheduled rehearsals (Sundays, 2-5pm at Pearl Studios), dress rehearsals, and
• Set up and strike chairs, stands, and music for rehearsals, sectionals, and concerts with
assistance of work-study students
• Record attendance; notify music director of member absences and secure substitutes as
• Supervise program-wide workshops and record student attendance
• Liaise with the Pearl Studios staff on facility needs
• Lead activities, including ice breakers with students
• Draft stage plots for each concert cycle
• Provide administrative office with orchestra roster for each concert cycle’s program
• Email weekly assignments and announcements to the orchestra
• Uphold guidelines and policies detailed in Membership Handbook, including COVID-19
safety and Community Health Pact policies.
• Implement organizational emergency and safety policies, as needed
• Communicate with families and students regarding rehearsal schedules and policies in a
timely manner using the organization email
• Meet weekly with the Director of Artistic Planning to review operational issues
NYYS seeks a highly pro-active, organized, and responsible individual with an interest in arts
administration, music education, and/or event production for the 2023/24 season. Knowledge of and
previous experience with orchestral music is required (playing or managing). Outstanding interpersonal
and critical thinking skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office, and the ability to work from a personal laptop
and smartphone are needed. An enthusiastic and problem-solving attitude as well as some performance
experience is highly encouraged.
NYYS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from diverse and historically underrepresented
communities are encouraged to apply.