The New School
|Location||55 West 13th Street, New York, NY 10011|
|Start||June 30, 2023|
The Ensemble Operations Coordinator is a compassionate and motivated administrator who prioritizes students and their experience at the College of Performing Arts. The coordinator is an excellent collaborator and communicator with an ability to manage complex programmatic processes and operations.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position within the 1205-Professional unit and is subject to the terms and conditions agreed to in the Union Contract between Teamsters Local 1205 and The New School. The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
Production and Operations (70%)
- Manage all operational elements of assigned rotations, initial rehearsal preparation through load-out following the final performance
- Act as stage manager at key events at The New School and off-campus venues.
- Serve as liaison as assigned for guest artists including guest conductors, composers, artists, and ensembles in residence.
- Act as supervisor for student workers who serve as stagehands, music librarians, office assistants, and percussion coordinators
- Assist the Manager in securing performance rights, execute purchases/rentals of scores and parts, and oversee the preparation and distribution of parts
- Collaborate with the Communications team to develop concert programs
- Ensure all IT, A/V and facilities work orders for rehearsals and concerts are submitted accurately and manage room reservations and logistics for ensemble-related activities
- Supervise setup/breakdown, facilitate rehearsal starts/stops/breaks and be available to answer questions from musicians and conductors for weekly rehearsals
- Participate in inventory management and maintenance of orchestral instruments owned by CoPA
- Assist with summer residency and partnership activities as assigned
Curriculum and Learning (20%)
- Assist in planning and execution of seating auditions and annual juries
- Work with the Large Ensemble Manager and faculty to develop rosters each semester for large ensemble activities
- Respond to the day-to-day operational needs of students participating in large ensemble activities
- Oversee key elements of assessment including attendance-taking, concert etiquette, and general preparation
Additional responsibilities as assigned (10%)
- One year of experience in arts administration or production, including student work, internships, volunteer work, and other forms of experience
- Basic knowledge of the operations of orchestras and other music ensembles, including knowledge of repertoire, personnel management, orchestra library management, and/or stage management. Experience with opera is a plus.
- The ability to read music and rudimentary knowledge of notation software (such as Sibelius or Finale).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop creative approaches to complex issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; can present complex information to various audiences.
- Experienced or able to develop fluency in The New School’s suite of data systems including WorkDay, Tableau, Banner, OPAS, and 25Live.
- Ability to adhere to university COVID-19 policy and requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to Equity, Inclusion, Social Justice, and the transformative power of the arts and education.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit both a resume and cover letter outlining their interest, skills, and experience concerning this position. Applicants not selected for hire will only be notified upon conclusion of the search process.