Berklee College of Music
|March 1, 2024
Berklee College of Music invites applications for a full-time faculty position in the Composition Department. The Composition Department is looking for an experienced conductor of musical theater who is committed to excellence in teaching, has a demonstrated record of national or international musical engagement with contemporary music, and enjoys working in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity and multicultural understanding.
Under the supervision of and reporting to the Chair of Composition Department, this full-time faculty member's primary duties include teaching individual lessons in conducting, core conducting classes Conducting 1 & 2, introductory and advanced courses in musical theater direction, and other courses in the areas of the candidate’s specialization. Service to the College includes academic advising, faculty meetings, office hours, developing the Theater Music Direction Conducting Minor program, and other duties as assigned. A commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the curriculum and community is important to this role.
This is a 9-month full-time faculty position with renewable multi-year contract; initial appointment to begin September 1, 2024. Rank and compensation are commensurate with professional experience.
● Strong professional experience and active profile as conductor and music director in musical theater and related skills
● Additional experience as conductor of other genres such as orchestra, choir and/or popular music preferred
● Innovative ideas about teaching core music and advanced conducting classes
● Excellent communication and collaborative skills
● Experience and willingness to work within a diverse faculty and student body
● Master’s Degree or equivalent professional experience
● Classroom teaching experience in higher education preferred
How to Apply
Electronic applications only. Please submit the following materials in PDF or Word format, at https://www.berklee.edu/jobs. Address your materials to: Composition Faculty Search Committee, Attn: Richard Carrick, Chair, Composition Department.
● Letter of application
● A current resume or curriculum vitae, with worklist
● Links to videos, websites, or online resources that are representative samples of the candidate’s work
● Names, titles and contact information for at least three (3) references