TADA! Youth Theatre
Category: Music Director, Teacher
|Location||Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island|
|Start||November 15, 2023|
|Compensation||Rates vary depending on program type, number of classes, and length of program. Average hourly rate is between $60-$75.|
Fully vaccinated and available to teach 2-3 days a week during the hours of 8AM-6PM.
- Note: the majority of our residencies and programs are with students Pre-K through 2nd grade in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island.
Able to commit to at least 1-2 recurring weekly TA placement for an 8-12 week period, January - June 2024 (FY24 fiscal year)
Experience teaching students PreK- 2nd grade or Ages 4-7
- Note: we will have placements available for grades (3rd & up) and ages (8 & up). But we believe the majority of the demands for TADA! will be on the younger side.
TEACHING ARTIST OVERVIEW:
TADA! Teaching Artists are at the heart of our work; empowering, educating, and inspiring young people through the magic of musical theater. Every education program at TADA! provides two professional Teaching Artists; a Director/Choreographer and a Music Director that work together in a collaborative, team-taught model. Through our team-taught model, students see adult collaboration modeled in a creative environment and experience various approaches to the creative process.
As an antiracist and multicultural organization, we value and amplify the voices, imaginations, knowledge, cultures, and leadership of black, indigenous, and people of color. We are committed to hiring BIPOC Teaching Artists who align with our mission, vision, and department values. It’s important that our students work with mentors and role models that better reflect the community we serve.
TEACHING ARTIST DUTIES:
● Execute goals, expectations, and requirements laid out in your schedule and curriculum.
● Work collaboratively in and out of class with your co-teacher to plan active, engaging lessons based on the TADA! curriculum provided.
● Provide excellent classroom management and support alongside your co-teacher.
● Select and facilitate all theater activities and warm-ups.
● Teach students a set of developmentally appropriate musical theater skills through daily physical and vocal warm-ups.
● Select and teach vocals and choreography to developmentally appropriate material from Broadway or the TADA! canon.
● Guide, support, and prepare students throughout the program for a final sharing or performance.
● Depending on curriculum, guide and facilitate students through the co-creation process that culminates in the performance of an original mini-musical.
● Work collaboratively with the TADA! Education department staff through the duration of the program (meet deadlines, execute administrative responsibilities, complete lesson reports, attend required meetings, etc).
● Provide supplemental materials for students (lyric sheets, recordings, videos, etc.)
● Various other duties depending on the program, school, or requirements.
● Align with our mission, vision, values, and Teaching Artist Competencies.
● Passion and professional training/experience in the musical theater and arts education.
● Experience and interest in working with students ages 3-18.
● Experience and interest in working with students from diverse populations with a wide range of abilities.
● Current proof of fingerprinting clearance/background check or ability to complete it through the NYC and NY State Department of Education.
● A commitment and deep interest in diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of TADA!’s programming and initiatives.
● Multilingual and/or experience working with ENL, SWD, and neurodiverse learners is a plus!
How to Apply
Send the following materials to Katy Knowles, Director of Education at [email protected]:
- Cover letter OR 2-3 minute video-recorded statement of interest (introducing yourself and sharing your arts education, teaching artist, and musical theater experiences)
- Complete application (see link below)
Application Deadline: Sunday, October 29, 2023
Selected applicants will be invited to audition/interview.
Auditions/Interviews held November 6-10, 2023