SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
|Location||San Diego State University|
The MFA Musical Theatre Program at San Diego State is committed to the creation of new works of musical theatre. Our objective is to nurture the creation of new musical theater and to provide an invaluable educational opportunity to our students to work directly with top professionals in the field.
Over the course of two years, MFA students will rehearse and develop to full production a new work of musical theatre under the guidance of faculty director Stephen Brotebeck and faculty music director (and Head of MFA Program) Robert Meffe. Brotebeck and Meffe have years of Broadway experience developing new musical works for the stage including shows such as Peter and the Starcatcher, Ghost and Little Women. Past artists have included Lynne Shankel, Crystal Skillman, Bobby Cronin, Caroline Prugh, Ryan Scott Oliver, BD Wong, Wayne Barker, Michael Federico and Home for Hovercraft band members Seth and Sean Magill.
Our plan is to collaborate with a creative team in three stages from reading to workshop to full production. We are looking for completed scripts and scores from a team that is interested in developing their work in conjunction with our graduate students. The committee considers a host of factors in the selection process, including representation of writers and stories from a range of
cultural, ethnic, racial, and other affinities, as well as the gender balance of the writers whose work is presented in a given theatrical season.
What we are looking for:
• A new book musical with at least eight named characters; a cast of 8-18 would be preferable
• A creative team that is open to feedback and the collaborative process
• One week reading at SDSU in the Fall of 2022 (writers in residence)
• One week workshop production at SDSU in the Spring of 2023 (writers in residence)
• Full production at SDSU in the Spring of 2024 (writers in residence for final two weeks of rehearsal)
How to Apply
PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
• Audio files of three songs with sheet music (lead sheets are acceptable)
• A brief synopsis of the musical (one page is plenty)
• A character breakdown including a short description of each character.
Please submit 3 songs only. If you send us a full recording, we will only listen to the first 3 songs. Please send audio files only; do not send links to SoundCloud or other hosting platforms. Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio. We are looking for talent and potential, not how well something is produced. Please include copyright clearances if they are necessary. Works cannot be considered without these. If the piece is currently under option, please submit a letter from the option holder giving permission for entry.
SEND YOUR PACKAGE ELECTRONICALLY BY DECEMBER 10, 2021 TO: