Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra
|Location||New York, NY|
The Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra Announces Openings for the following sections:
- Trombone (member)
- Trumpet (sub)
- Percussion (sub)
- Drumset (sub)
LIVE AUDITIONS IN NEW YORK CITY: December 13-14, 2022
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS. We encourage people of all identities and historically underrepresented groups to apply.
- Experience playing Afro Latin music and Contemporary Jazz
- Strong improvisers, and comfortable playing complex arrangements in a large ensemble setting & strong sight-reading skills
- Flexibility of schedule and commitment to the mission of the Afro Latin Jazz Alliance (ALJA) are essential
1st Round: Nov. 2 - Nov. 30
- Online application submission.
- Dec. 13 (drums & percussion)
- Dec. 14 (trombone & trumpet)
Live audition - Includes playing with members of the ALJO rhythm section.
- Dec. 18 at Birdland Jazz Club in NYC
Live audition - Includes playing with the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra.
The Afro Latin Jazz Alliance (ALJA) announces auditions for 1st trombone, as well as principal subs for trumpet, trombone, drums, and percussion.
The GRAMMY Award-winning Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra (ALJO), led by pianist, composer, and director Arturo O’Farrill, brings together the drama of big band jazz, the culture of Latin music, and the virtuosity of eighteen of the world’s most accomplished solo musicians. The ALJO performs an average of 50 concerts per year, worldwide.
Because of the orchestras weekly residency at Birdland Jazz Club over and above its regular performance and touring season, principal subs can reasonably anticipate significant performance opportunities.
We are looking for musicians who have experience playing Afro Latin music and contemporary jazz, are strong improvisers, and who excel playing complex arrangements in a large ensemble setting. Strong sight-reading skills, flexibility of schedule, and commitment to ALJA's mission are essential.
How to Apply
Deadline to apply 11:59pm ET, Nov. 30, 2022.